OpenCounseling is user supported. We may earn a commission when you follow links to sponsored providers. Learn more.

Kansas Mental Health Services Guide

Many people don't realize that publicly-funded mental health services are available in their state. People looking for free or low-cost counseling often think their only options are counselors in private practice and don't know that publicly-funded providers in their communities may also offer counseling services. 


While state-based programs are not for everyone, they're often a great place to start for people who face geographic or financial barriers to therapy. Intake specialists at community mental health programs can help people learn whether they qualify for state-funded services and can refer people who don't qualify to other low-cost programs that may be able to meet their needs.


When Should You Go to a State Mental Health Program?


Few private mental health providers are able to immediately serve people in crisis, while most state mental health agencies, including Kansas's, have crisis response systems that help people get mental health care quickly in an emergency. This usually makes public mental health services the best option if you're having a mental health crisis and need help right away. The people who answer state crisis lines can provide caring attention and support as they help you determine the best response to a crisis, whether it's inpatient treatment or an appointment with a counselor.


Publicly-funded outpatient mental health programs in Kansas are called community mental health centers (CMHCs). In addition to affordable therapy, CMHCs provide specialized and intensive services that aren't available anywhere else or that are hard to find in private clinics, like case management, psychosocial rehabilitation, and day treatment. Consider going to a CMHC if you need intensive treatment, live in an area with limited mental health resources, or can't access mental health care in the private sector due to your diagnosis or financial situation.

Who Is Eligible for Public Mental Health Services in Kansas?


Kansas CMHCs do not have strict eligibility requirements and serve people from a wide range of backgrounds. Many CMHCs in Kansas offer therapy to people with moderate mental health needs and only require people to be residents of the counties they serve to access their services. 


For example, Central Kansas Mental Health Center states, "Outpatient services include individual, marital, family and group therapy. The range of problems [we treat] includes minor disruptions in functioning to the more serious and long-lasting problems in life. Any age and all levels of possible problems are welcome to request treatment." 


Similarly, Pawnee Mental Health Services states: "Pawnee offers services for people looking for short-term assistance with general problems related to their life and relationships. Pawnee also offers services for people looking for help with serious mental health or substance abuse issues."


While Kansas does not limit CMHC services to people with low incomes and lack of insurance coverage, it does limit state financial assistance to people in those groups. In most cases, people in Kansas are only eligible for sliding-scale fees and other forms of financial assistance if they are residents of one of the counties that CMHC serves and do not have insurance that covers mental health treatment. (Most CMHCs accept a range of public and private insurance plans.) 


For example, The Elizabeth Layton Center states: "Elizabeth Layton Center (ELC) offers a sliding scale fee to clients who do not have insurance and are residents of Franklin or Miami County… If a client has insurance that does not include ELC as part of their network, no sliding scale fee will be offered. The client must either pay full fee for all services or find another provider that is within their network. However, if the service is not covered by insurance due to policy exclusions, regardless of network membership status, the client may be eligible for the sliding scale fee."


While Kansas does not limit services to clients with low incomes and clients with serious mental illness, it does prioritize people in these groups. On their website, The Guidance Center states, "We offer a broad array of home and community-based behavioral health services, always prioritizing those who are most in need without regard for their ability to pay for care." This means when funds are limited, services for people with less severe conditions will be cut first.


In general, CMHC services for mild or moderate mental health needs are short-term and solution-focused. There are stricter eligibility requirements for services designed for people with severe and persistent mental illness, such as psychosocial rehabilitation. Availability and access to CMHC services is dependent on funding and staffing levels, so it's always a good idea to call your local CMHC to find out what services they currently offer. 

How Can You Find Out More About Local Programs in Kansas?


The best way to find out whether you can get the services you need at a local CMHC in Kansas is to call the program directly. For general information about the public mental health system in Kansas, you can also call the central behavioral health office at the Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services (KDADS) at (785) 296-3471.


The Association of CMHCs of Kansas (ACMHCK) features a CMHC Map and CMHC Directory on their website, and KDADS has informational pages about CMHCs and local crisis hotlines. We've listed contact information for all Kansas CMHCs below using information from the above sites and from individual CMHC webpages. 


We found outdated information on both KDADS and ACMHCK websites that we corrected using updated information from individual CMHC websites. The most accurate and up-to-date official directory we found was this 2020 CMHC directory by KDADS [PDF]. We recommend calling to confirm information you find online (including ours), as phone numbers and service providers are subject to change.


Kansas' Mental Health Clinics and Access Numbers

Northwest and North Central Kansas


  • High Plains Mental Health Center
    1. Serving Cheyenne, Decatur, Ellis, Gove, Graham, Logan, Ness, Norton, Osborne, Phillips, Rawlins, Rooks, Rush, Russell, Sheridan, Sherman, Smith, Thomas, Trego, and Wallace Counties
    2. Main Number: (785) 628-2871 
    3. Crisis Line: (800) 432-0333
    4. Office Locations:
      • Main Office (Hays): (785) 628-2871
      • Colby Branch (Colby): (785) 462-6774
      • Goodland Branch (Goodland): (785) 899-5991
      • Norton Branch (Norton): (785) 877-5141
      • Osborne Branch (Osborne): (785) 346-2184
      • Phillipsburg Branch (Phillipsburg): (785) 5432-5284


  • Pawnee Mental Health Services
    1. Serving Clay, Cloud, Geary, Jewell, Marshall, Mitchell, Pottawatomie, Republic, Riley, and Washington Counties
    2. Main Number: (785) 587-4300
    3. Crisis Line: (800) 609-2002
    4. Office Locations:
      • Clay County Office (Clay Center): (785) 632-2108
      • Cloud County Office (Concordia): (785) 243-8900
      • Geary County Office #1 (Caroline Avenue, Junction City): (785) 762-5250
      • Geary County Office #2 (West Ash Street, Junction City): (785) 238-1085
      • Jewell County Office (Mankato): (785) 378-3898
      • Marshall County Office (Marysville): (785) 562-3930
      • Mitchell County Office (Beloit): (785) 738-5363
      • Pottawatomie County Office (Wamego): (785) 456-7408
      • Republic County Office (Belleville): (785) 527-2549
      • Riley County Office #1 (Claflin Road, Manhattan): (785) 587-4300
      • Riley County Office #2 (Houston Street, Manhattan): (785) 539-2743
      • Riley County Office #3 (Hayes Drive, Manhattan): (785) 587-4339
      • Washington County Office (Washington): (785) 325-8991


  • Central Kansas Mental Health Center
    1. Serving Dickinson, Ellsworth, Lincoln, Ottawa, and Saline Counties
    2. Main Number: (785) 823-6322
    3. Crisis Line: (785) 823-6324 or (866) 823-6380
    4. Office Locations(Use Main Number for All Locations):
      • Main Office (Salina)
      • Dickinson County Office (Abilene)
      • Ellsworth County Office (Ellsworth)
      • Lincoln County Office (Lincoln)
      • Ottawa County Office (Minneapolis)


Northeast Kansas


  • Kanza Mental Health and Guidance Center
    1. Serving Brown, Doniphan, Jackson, and Nemaha Counties
    2. Main Number: (785) 742-7113
    3. Crisis Line: (785) 742-3666
    4. Office Locations (Use Main Number for All Locations):
      • Brown County Office (Hiawatha)
      • Jackson County Office (Holton)
      • Doniphan County Office (Troy)
      • Nemaha County Offices (Sabetha and Seneca)


  • Valeo Behavioral Healthcare
    1. Serving Shawnee County
    2. Main Number: (785) 233-1730
    3. Crisis Line: (785) 234-3300
    4. Office Locations (Use Main Number for All Locations):
      • Oakley Avenue (Topeka)
      • Sixth Avenue (Topeka)


  • Family Service and Guidance Center(children's services only)
    1. Serving Shawnee County
    2. Main Number and Crisis Line: (785) 232-5005
    3. Office Location: 
      • Frazier Avenue Office (Topeka): (785) 232-5005


  • Bert Nash Community Mental Health Center
    1. Serving Douglas County
    2. Main Number and Crisis Line: (785) 843-9192
    3. Adult Services: (785) 830-1742
    4. Office Locations (Use Main Number for All Locations):
      • Main Office (Lawrence)
      • Outreach Office (Eudora)
      • Outreach Office (Baldwin)


  • CrossWinds Counseling and Wellness
    1. Serving Chase, Coffey, Greenwood, Lyon, Morris, Osage, and Wabaunsee Counties
    2. Main Number and Daytime Crisis Line: (620) 343-2211 or (800) 279-3645
    3. After-Hours Crisis Line: (620) 343-2626 or (866) 330-3310
    4. Office Locations (Use Main Number for All Locations): 
      • Chase County Office (Cottonwood Falls)
      • Coffey County Office (Burlington)
      • Greenwood County Office: (Eureka)
      • Lyon County Office (Emporia)
      • Morris County Office (Council Grove)
      • Osage County Office (Osage City)
      • Wabaunsee County Office (Alma)


Kansas City Metro Region


  • The Guidance Center
    1. Serving Atchison, Jefferson, and Leavenworth Counties
    2. Main Number: (913) 682-5118
    3. Crisis Line: (888) 260-9634
    4. Office Locations:
      • Atchison County Office (Atchison): (913) 367-1593
      • Jefferson County Office (Oskaloosa): (785) 863-2929
      • Leavenworth County Office (Leavenworth): (913) 682-5118


  • Wyandot Center for Community Behavioral Health
    1. Serving Wyandotte County
    2. Main Number: (913) 233-3300
    3. Crisis Line: (913) 788-4200
    4. Clinical Services Locations:
      • Wyandot Center (Kansas City): (913) 328-4600
      • RSI Crisis Services (Kansas City): (913) 956-5620
      • Bonner Springs Satellite Office (Bonner Springs): (913) 441-1400
      • Bethany Clinic (Kansas City): (913) 890-7900


  • Johnson County Mental Health Center
    1. Serving Johnson County
    2. Main Number: (913) 826-4200
    3. Crisis Line: (913) 268-0156
    4. Adult Clinical Services Locations (Use Main Number for All Locations):
      • Administrative Office (Mission)
      • Shawnee Office (Shawnee)
      • Olathe Office (Olathe)


  • Elizabeth Layton Center
    1. Serving Franklin and Miami Counties
    2. Main Number and Daytime Crisis Line for Franklin County: (785) 242-3780
    3. Main Number and Daytime Crisis Line for Miami County: (913) 557-9096
    4. After-Hours Crisis Line: (800) 241-1266
    5. Office Locations:
      • Franklin County Office (Ottawa): (785) 242-3780
      • Miami County Office (Paola): (913) 557-9096


Southwest Kansas


  • Compass Behavioral Health
    1. Serving Finney, Ford, Grant, Gray, Greeley, Hamilton, Hodgeman, Kearney, Lane, Morton, Scott, Stanton, and Wichita Counties
    2. Main Number: (620) 276-7689
    3. Crisis Line: Use the Number for Your Local Office
    4. Office Locations:
      • Garden City Office: (620) 276-7689
      • Dodge City Office: (620) 227-8566
      • Ulysses Office: (620) 356-3198
      • Scott City Office: (620) 872-5338


  • Southwest Guidance Center
    1. Serving Haskell, Meade, Seward, and Stevens Counties
    2. Main Number and Crisis Line: (620) 624-8171
    3. Office Locations:
      • Hugoton Office: (620) 544-8511 x180
      • Meade Office: (620) 873-5556
      • Sublette Office: (620) 675-8556


  • Iroquois Center for Human Development, Inc.
    1. Serving Clark, Comanche, Edwards, and Kiowa Counties
    2. Main Number: (620) 723-2272
    3. Crisis Line: (620) 723-2656 or (888) 877-0375
    4. Office Locations (Use Main Number for All Locations)
      • The Iroquois Center (Greensburg)
      • Ashland Satellite Office
      • Coldwater Satellite Office
      • Kinsley Satellite Office
      • Minneola Satellite Office


South Central Kansas


  • COMCARE of Sedgwick County
    1. Serving Sedgwick County
    2. Main Number: (316) 660-7600
    3. Crisis Line: (316) 660-7500
    4. Support Line: (316) 660-1111
    5. Office Locations:
      • Adult Outpatient Services (Wichita): (316) 660-7675
      • Community Crisis Center (Wichita): (316) 660-7500


  • Horizons Mental Health Center
    1. Serving Barber, Harper, Kingman, Pratt, and Reno Counties
    2. Main Number: (620) 663-7595
    3. Crisis Line: (620) 694-1099 or (800) 794-0163
    4. Office Locations:
      • Reno County Office (Hutchinson): (620) 663-7595
      • Barber County Office (Medicine Lodge): (620) 886-5057
      • Pratt County Office (Pratt): (620) 672-2332
      • Kingman County Office (Kingman): (620) 532-3895
      • Harper County Office (Anthony): (620) 842-3768


  • Prairie View
    1. Serving Harvey, Marion, and McPherson Counties
    2. Main Number: (800) 992-6292
    3. Crisis Line: (800) 362-0180
    4. Office Locations:
      • Main Campus (Newton): (316) 284-6400
      • Reflection Ridge Campus (West Wichita): (316) 729-6555
      • Legacy Park Campus (East Wichita): (316) 634-4700
      • McPherson County Campus (McPherson): (620) 245-5000
      • Marion County Campus (Hillsboro): (620) 947-3200


  • South Central Mental Health Counseling Center
    1. Serving Butler County
    2. Main Number: (316) 321-6036
    3. Crisis Line: (866) 660-3300
    4. After-Hours Crisis Line: (855) 773-6686
    5. Office Locations:
      • El Dorado Office: (316) 321-6036
      • Andover Office: (316) 733-5047
      • Augusta Office: (316) 425-0073


  • Sumner Mental Health Center
    1. Serving Sumner County
    2. Main Number: (620) 326-7448
    3. Crisis Line: (800) 369-8222
    4. Office Location:
      • Main Office (Wellington): (620) 326-7448


  • The Center for Counseling and Consultation
    1. Serving Barton, Pawnee, Rice, and Stafford Counties
    2. Main Number: (620) 792-2544
    3. Crisis Line: (800) 875-2544
    4. Office Locations: (Use Main Number for All Locations):
      • Barton County Office (Great Bend)
      • Pawnee County Office (Larned)
      • Rice County Office (Lyons)
      • Stafford County Office (St. John)


Southeast Kansas



  • Four County Mental Health Center
    1. Serving Chautauqua, Cowley, Elk, Montgomery, and Wilson Counties
    2. Main Number: (620) 331-1748
    3. Crisis Line: (800) 499-1748
    4. Office Locations:
      • Main Office (Independence): (620) 331-1748
      • Coffeyville Branch Office (Coffeyville): (620) 251-8180
      • Cowley Branch Office (Winfield): (620) 221-9664
      • Crisis Diversion Services (Independence): (620) 331-5151
      • Independence North Office (Independence): (620) 331-3131
      • Fredonia Outreach Office (Fredonia): (620) 378-4400
      • Neodesha Outreach Office (Neodesha): (620) 325-2141
      • Sedan Outreach Office (Sedan): (620) 725-3115
      • Howard Outreach Office: (620) 374-2370



  • CrossWinds Counseling and Wellness
    1. Serving Chase, Coffey, Greenwood, Lyon, Morris, Osage, and Wabaunsee Counties
    2. Main Number and Daytime Crisis Line: (620) 343-2211 or (800) 279-3645
    3. After-Hours Crisis Line: (620) 343-2626 or (866) 330-3310
    4. Office Locations (Use Main Number for All Locations): 
      • Chase County Office (Cottonwood Falls)
      • Coffey County Office (Burlington)
      • Greenwood County Office: (Eureka)
      • Lyon County Office (Emporia)
      • Morris County Office (Council Grove)
      • Osage County Office (Osage County)
      • Wabaunsee County Office (Alma)


  • Southeast Kansas Mental Health Center
    1. Serving Allen, Anderson, Bourbon, Linn, Neosho, and Woodson Counties
    2. Main Number: (620) 365-8641 or (866) 973-2241
    3. Crisis Line: (866) 973-2241
    4. Office Locations:
      • Iola Office: (620) 365-5717
      • Chanute Office: (620) 431-7890
      • Fort Scott Office: (620) 223-5030
      • Humboldt Office: (620) 473-2241
      • Garnett Office: (785) 448-6806
      • Pleasanton Office: (913) 352-8214
      • Yates Center Office: (620) 625-2746


  • Spring River Mental Health and Wellness
    1. Serving Cherokee County
    2. Main Number: (620) 848-2300
    3. Crisis Line: (866) 634-2301
    4. Office Locations:
      • Columbus Office: (620) 429-1860
      • Riverton Office: (620) 848-2300


Federally qualified health centers (FQHCs) are another option for public mental health care in Kansas. These federally-funded programs provide medical and mental health services to people in underserved communities. Their goal is to deliver high-quality coordinated care to people with complex needs and to link behavioral healthcare with primary medical care. Each FQHC accepts Medicaid and Medicare and offers sliding-scale fees to people without insurance. You can search for FQHCs using the online search tool on the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services website. 

How Does Kansas' Public Mental Health System Work?

In the 1960s, Americans started thinking differently about how to treat mental health conditions. New laws required state and local governments to establish community mental health programs as alternatives to institutionalization for people with serious mental illness. Many states' public mental health programs trace their origins back to this period. 


Kansas was slightly ahead of the curve. It founded many of the programs that would later become CMHCs in the 1950s. One was even founded in 1937 as a child guidance clinic before transitioning to all-ages mental health care. In the 1960s, Kansas started building a statewide network of CMHCs in earnest using funds created by Community Mental Health Centers Act, which was signed into law by President John F. Kennedy in 1963.


While Kansas was ahead of the curve in building community mental health programs, it was behind the curve in transitioning away from institutional care. Kansas continued to rely primarily on its state psychiatric hospitals until the state passed its Mental Health Reform Act in 1990. Even after the reform law was passed and several state hospitals were closed in the 1990s, Kansas has continued to spend more on institutional care than it spends on community-based care. 


In fact, Kansas has continually cut funding for community-based mental health services since the late 2000s. This has led to systemic crises including both overcrowding at state hospitals and service reductions at community mental health centers. Mental health advocacy groups and state citizens are pushing for restored funding to CMHCs and other improvements to the mental health system in Kansas.


Public mental health services in Kansas are managed on the state level by the Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services. In addition to operating the state's two psychiatric hospitals at Larned and Osawatomie, KDADS oversees and licenses a network of mental health programs including nursing facilities for mental health (Kansas is the only state that has this type of facility in its public system) and community mental health centers. There are currently 26 CMHCs in Kansas, all of which are independent non-profits managed and licensed by KDADS.


According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), only 48 percent of people in Kansas who have mental health conditions get treatment for them. One reason for the care gap is that people aren't aware of their options for affordable mental health care, including the public mental health system. You can help change these statistics by reaching out and using your local mental health resources to get the care you need.

Share This

Search for Affordable Counseling in You City:
Search results include community based providers and also sponsored providers from BetterHelp. OpenCounseling may earn a commission if you follow links to a sponsored provider. Learn more.


Share This